Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The real reason - Charity!

As I wrote in my first blog I have signed up to compete in Ironman Texas and committed to helping raise money for an amazing charity that I hold very dear to my heart. When I grew up I had a very difficult and abusive relationship with my father and was molested by my grandfather when I was around 9 years old. It had a major effect on my life and now that I am in a place that I can affect change I plan to do everything I can to help other children that are in difficult times. I have committed to raise at least $20,000 for the Save the Children Foundation (http://www.savethechildren.org/). As a Texas Aggie, I know the power of the 12th man so I truly believe this an obtainable goal.

Save the Children Foundation gives children in the United Stated and around the world what every kid deserves - a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. The foundation started in 1932 with initial programs to provide clothing, school supplies and hot lunches to children in Kentucky and has grown to an international program that assists during natural disasters, war, and assistance to help displaced children. Please spend some time on the website and see all the amazing things they are doing. The foundation has an overall rating of 4 out of 4 stars by the Charity Navigation rating organization and is extremely transparent with the support it gains. Nearly 90% of the money donated goes directly to program services.


I am committing myself to train as hard as possible to help these kids gain support and I believe the Aggie network will step up with me to this challenge.

As well as having this amazing opportunity to help this great organization I will also have an amazing chance to compete in a lifelong dream of becoming an Ironman. I have wanted to become an Ironman since I was a kid as I watch the televised World Championships from Hawaii each year. Ever since then, I always wanted to compete in Kona. This dream now has a chance to come true. The top two fundraisers between now and May 16, 2015 will be given a slot to compete in the Ironman World Championships next year. There are very few slots that open up for Kona and I need your help to get there. I have hired a great coach and have an amazing support system to help me get through this challenge. With your help I will be able to not only support and amazing charity but will also be able to live a life long dream. I will be blogging throughout my training to keep your up-to-date on my training and preparation for this amazing challenge. To help support this cause please go to my personal donation webpage (http://savethechildren.kintera.org/IronmanTX/agdodge50). Thank you so much for your support!



Gig'em & God Bless,
Mark Dodge 07'


No comments:

Post a Comment